Big Time Boycott
With budget cuts and tuition hikes, strikes and boycotts have been popular topics on campus for most of the 2009-2010 school year. On May 12, 2010, a selection of QERM students resolved, in the spirit of standing up against injustice, to boycott Big Time Brewery, previously a popular destination following the spring seminar.
Reasons for the boycott include (feel free to add your own!):
- Nachos of extremely low quality
- More cheese on paper than on chips
- Excessive sour cream, lack of other toppings
- Whole kidney beans mixed in with refried beans
- Possibly assembled by a poorly trained monkey
- Rickety tables
- Difficult to move
- Refusal to serve alcohol to a 34-year old QERM student
- Just days after her birthday
- (and the expiry of her driver's license)
- She could easily be mistaken as being under 30, but clearly not under 21.
- Bottle Hazard
- Big Time also has a HUGE collection of beer-bottles, none of which they actually sell, of course.
- And they have replaced the shuffleboard underneath with more rickety tables and chairs.
- Are they waiting for them to fall?
- Not Enough Variety
- the sheer arrogance of only selling their own brews, robbing us customers of a good old Manny's, or Heineken, or PBR or Rainier. or MGD.
- Untimely Happy Hour
- Last I checked their Happy Hour was from 11:30 to 12:30. I appreciate that happy hours should begin early. But end so early too?
- Not enough money in the budget for pizza
- Fresh cinnamon raisin bread far superior anyway
- Many other more welcoming establishments nearby
- College Inn
We stand together. And when we sit down to drink beer, we do that together too.